Every member of the Dell Medical School inaugural class is receiving scholarship support thanks to the generosity of donors. Numerous individuals and foundations made it possible to reach Dean Clay Johnston’s goal to cover at least one-third of total tuition costs this year and beyond.
In April 2016, individual donors — backed by a matching grant from the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation — gave during the 40 Hours for the Forty Acres campaign to raise more than $90,000, providing four-and-a-half full-tuition scholarships for students in Dell Med’s inaugural class.
Endowed scholarships are also essential to sustain the medical school’s scholarship program because they provide permanent funding and continue to grow over time. Upon the arrival of our first class, Dell Med had 14 endowed scholarships. Since student support is a four-year commitment, it is our goal to endow at least 42 additional scholarships — 14 per year for each new medical school class.
Whether you’re giving $5, $5,000 or $5 million, know that your gift supports outstanding students who share the mission of Dell Med. With your help, students can be relieved of student loan debt, and Dell Med can continue to compete with other top institutions for the best applicants.
The inaugural class is generously supported by these endowed scholarships and funds:
- Ardith Arlene & Otis Alton Barron Sr. Endowed Scholarship
- Dell Medical School Student Scholarship Fund
- Elwood “Woody” J. Eichler, MD, Endowed Excellence Fund for Dell Medical School
- Gregory L. Hemphill, MD, & Brenda B. Hemphill Endowed Scholarship
- James L. Street Endowed Scholarship
- Jerome & Joanne Ravel Endowed Scholarship
- Julius Frederick Kramer, MD, Endowed Scholarship
- Moreland Family Endowed Scholarship
- Morris S. & Laura L. Gottesman Endowed Scholarship
- Dr. Pat & Mary Martha Oles Endowed Scholarship
- Patty & James Huffines Scholarship
- Robert B. Allison, MD, & Thomas D. Kirksey, MD, Endowed Excellence Fund
- Susan M. Cox, MD, & Douglas N. Morris Endowed Scholarship
- Texas Exes Dell Medical School Scholarship Fund
- Thos. H. Law & Jo Ann Law Endowed Medical Scholarship
- William Powers Jr. Endowed Scholarship